Are you looking to move to the US and want some more cool tips on how to make the move easier and what you should definitely experience there? Then feel free to read on here, we hope we can make your journey a little easier.
Moving to the USA – Residence Permits and Visas
You are allowed to stay in the USA for 90 days with a visitor visa, but if you want to stay there for a longer period of time, you need an unlimited visa. This can be obtained in several different ways.
Family Reunification: Parents, children, spouses and siblings of a U.S. citizen can apply for an unlimited visa.
If one has signed an employment contract with a company in the USA: these people are given priority, but there are only a certain number of visas that can be issued each year.
If one wants to invest in the USA: self-employed people have very good chances to get an unlimited visa if they invest in the USA and create at least 10 jobs.
Greencard winners: you can participate in the annual lottery and hope to win a greencard.
To apply for an unlimited visa, one should contact the US consulates in one’s home country.
If you stay in America for 5 years as a green card holder, you can also apply for US citizenship.
Your move to the USA
For your move you should have arranged a few things in advance in your home country. These include: deregistering your current residence, you yourself have to deregister at the Residents Registration Office if you are moving away permanently, if you only want to work in the USA for one year, this is usually not necessary.
You should also arrange in advance for a freight forwarder to transport your belongings. All items brought into the USA must be noted on a packing list called “Goods of follow”. You must give this list once to the freight forwarder and present it to U.S. Customs. Furthermore, it is mandatory that the owner of the items picks them up at the port himself.
What you should do in the USA right at the beginning:
- Set up a bank account
- Apply for a Social Security Number (ssN), you will need this number not only to work, but also for several other forms, such as signing a lease, applying for electricity or registering your phone.
- Search for an apartment
- Health insurance: this is especially important in the U.S., as health care costs are enormous. In most cases, collective insurance is taken out by the employer and the employees, or is only applied for by the employees of a company.
- Our experts are happy to guide you through the steps and are always up to date.
Places of interest
Of course, besides all the formalities, we also want to show you the beautiful things of the USA. Here are a few of the best and most famous sights that you should definitely see.
- Statue of Liberty in New York
- Empire State Building in New York
- Hollywood Boulevard with the Walk of Fame in Los Angeles
- Grand Canyon in Arizona
- Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco
- Florida Keys, a chain of over 200 coral islands, a very impressive place.
- Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming
- Las Vegas Trip, a 6.8km long strip of exclusively luxury hotels, casinos and clubs.
- Washington D.C, the capital of the USA, here sits the center of political power. The White House, official residence of the president, you should definitely visit it.
- Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, one of the most visited theme parks in the world.
- What you should definitely experience from the USA is the cuisine. There are extremely many traditional dishes, typical American dishes and some fast food, which you should definitely try out. There is something for every taste.
- The typical American breakfast is quite large compared to most other countries. It consists of eggs, ham, toast, bacon, sausages, pancakes and cornflakes, plus an orange juice and a coffee.
- For “dessert” you even get cake, donuts or muffins.
- Chicken and Waffles, here is typical for the USA, sweet and salty combined. Here waffles are doused with syrup and served with a piece of chicken au gratin.
- Caesar Salad, the most famous American salad. It is made with romaine lettuce, Parmesan cheese and croutons, and is often served with chicken breast strips or bacon.
- Hot Dog and Corn Dog, two very popular fast food dishes, which are available on every corner, at almost every snack bar in the USA.
- Spare ribs, the classic pork ribs without which a barbecue in the USA is not possible.
- Cookies our all time favorite and beloved cookies that originated in the USA. The special thing about cookies in the USA is that they are never quite crispy, they are always “chewy” in the middle, which means doughy-soft.
- Donuts, the dessert that everyone knows. An absolute must in America, whether from Dunkin Donuts or the bakery, they are loved and consumed in high quantities.
- The Apple Pie, the national dish of the USA. Yes, it is really an apple pie and not the burger. The Apple Pie consists of apple compote that is in a large pastry shell and is also popularly served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The first Apple Pie appeared in the 18th century.
- Steak, a choice cut of beef. The side dish in the USA is either Coleslaw Salad or Mac n` Cheese (macaroni and cheese).
- Burger, a specialty in the USA, which you can buy everywhere, in every snack bar, in every MC Donalds and at almost every restaurant.
We hope that we could give you some valuable tips and wish you good luck with your new start. If you still have questions, please feel free to ask them.